Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Despite my best intentions

Despite my best intentions of documenting EVERY day of our lives for a year, obviously, it just hasn't happened. I have been totally consumed with a very active 2 year old, a full time job, and of course the joys of marriage and a household to take care of.

Despite been so busy, I have had a lot on my mind and hope that maybe some of you might be able to give me tips or thoughts on how to enrich myself more.

A little background, I was born into a southern Baptist family, when we relocated, we joined a Methodist church at the same time I attended an Episcopalian grade school. During my high school years, I attended a Catholic all-girls school. All I which I loved. And to a point, I thought I was a child of God and fully knew him. I had many religion classes. And was baptized and confirmed while in Junior High. Wasn't that enough to be a child of God? Sadly, this was my thinking. If I prayed here and there and was truly thankful for all of my blessings, that would be enough. How truly wrong I was then.

It has been only after having my own child and desperately needing Him at times to help me thru the crazy times that I found that I hardly felt like I knew Him at all. Maybe he knew that I only called on Him when I needed him, not when I just wanted to know Him. I feel shameful even mentioning all this now because it's something that I have kept to myself for so long, but the desire to know Him has made me realize part of the experience is acknowleding my faults and asking for help. In all honesty, I don't think I have ever read the bible throughly. And definitely not for enjoyment. All that changes now.

So, what have I done? Well, I love my church, Fellowship NWA. It seems so authentic to learn straight from the Bible and, I would be lying if I didn't mention that I LOVE the music too. Music is huge for me and instantly brings out my emotions. Always has. I love going to the services but find that I don't go nearly as much as I want (dare I say NEED) to! I've finally come to the realization that I am the maker of my own future. And if I truly want to be a woman of God that I have to go. For myself and for my child. Even if that means a screaming child when you leave her in the nursery or sitting alone in church.

I joined a bible study at church. A Beth Moore series on Daniel. Even though I loved going and the lessons, I unfortunately didn't finish the class at the church. In part because of a work trip and in part because of my crazy life. It's not an excuse, I realize that, but it is the truth. Although I did find that you can buy the audio series online at iTunes. So I do have faith that I will complete the entire study!! (and not just the second half that we were studying at the church - I missed the first half that was occurring last Fall).

I've read so many websites and books as I can get my hands on about finding God or discovering His plans for you. Some of the books I haven't read yet, but they are there next to my bed. And I have full intentions of reading them all. ;). I'm currently reading an appropriately titled, "Busy Moms's Daily Devotional", as well as "The Love Dare" and "The Power of a Praying Wife". However, I do find that I'm completely overwhelmed though with about the 3 daily devotionals I get via email. But when I don't have time to read them, I save them and although the email folder is growing, I do have faith that I will have time one weekend soon to catch up! Dare I say that maybe Kate will take a lengthy nap and I will forego laundry sometime soon! Anything is possible. :)

I guess the point of this post is to admit that I have sinned. I realize this and fully believe that only He can have power to forgive me of these sins, but I also feel the strong need to include you all, my friends, into what I hope will be a life changing, fun-filled time in my life.


~~~
Lord, I pray that You will continue to instill in me the great desire to know you. To know you through Your word, to know You through every relationship and experience I may come across. I am Your own, please look over me during this amazing and exciting time in my life. Allow my own eyes to open so that I may truly see You. I will be a faithful servant for You through all my days. I pray that You will show me also how to raise Katelynn to also be Your own daughter. May my life be pleasing to You always. Amen.
~~~


I know many of you are further on this road than I am, and I would gladly welcome and tips or suggestions!! I hope in some way you all may understand my deep need to post this, as well as the need for all of your support. Even silent support in the form of prayers.

Best wishes!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Jennifer -- what an open, honest, and great post. I am so happy that you have found a wonderful church home, and seeking God's will in your life. I know that he will bless you!

Don't feel too bad about the Beth Moore studies -- there are many weeks where I rush to get all the homework done or don't even get to it. Oh, and I completely relate to the dropping off screaming children at church :) If it makes you feel any better, Meredith now LOVES her church teachers and prays for them each night (even before her own family).

Praying for you!

Basham said...

What an amazing post! My heart filled with joy as I read your words. Many prayers!

Stephanie said...

Jennifer -- thanks for being so honest!! The Beth Moore studies are great (especially Daniel), so even if you just find time to listen to the podcasts (or watch the video online @ Lifeway.com)you will be totally blessed!! The homework is intense, but don't let not getting it done deter you!!! I would also say that I have been where you are and am still walking this road. Just trying to know Jesus more & more each day and incorporate God into the little things in my life each day -- not just the big stuff, which is a bigger challenge than I anticipated. I agree that it is easy to get overwhelmed with all that there is to read, so I suggest just picking one at a time or even just reading the Bible in a year (which is what I'm doing now; I'm 2 weeks behind, but I will get back on track!). I don't think there is anything more important than just spending time with Him and in His word. That's when you'll really get to know Him!!

I'll be praying for you!!!

coble said...

Jennifer-
What a beautiful post. I want you to know that I am praying for you throughout your journey with Christ. It is easy to get overwhelmed but always remember that we have a whole lifetime to learn what God has to teach us. I think that many of us feel the way you feel at this point in our lives – when we are trying to raise our children to be followers of Christ. It just intensifies more during this time because we are trying to do what we thing is best for our babies. Always remember to take baby steps, and God will lead the way for your. You are in my prayers. Much Love, Laura